The Undergraduate Program
Columbia History Association &
Undergraduate History Council
Columbia History Association
The Columbia History Association (CHA) is an undergraduate student organization comprised of all history majors, concentrators, and enthusiasts. CHA is always looking to expand its community of passionate history students and encourages its members to be active through attendance and participation at history-related events such as study breaks, professor lunches, trivia nights, and panel discussions. Additionally, CHA seeks to support history students through its newly-launched mentorship program pairing new history students with upperclass history majors and concentrators to foster community and share advice on course selection, thesis preparation, careers, and a range of other topics. CHA is run by a Chair, Vice Chair, and Treasurer, who work with a board of coordinators managing Outreach and Marketing, CHA’s Mentorship Initiative, liaison with GS and Barnard communities.
If you enjoy history and want to get involved, you can subscribe to our newsletter and/or join our mentorship program at tinyurl.com/JoinCHA2022 and look at our newly-launched website, cuhistory.com.
Columbia Journal of History (CJH)
The Columbia Journal of History (CJH), formerly the Columbia Undergraduate Journal of History, is a publication of the Undergraduate History Council at Columbia University. The Journal was founded to provide opportunities for undergraduate students to contribute their research to the field of history. Our Executive Board reviews student submissions from history departments across the United States and abroad, and selects about 10% of submissions for inclusion in each biannual edition.
Undergraduate History Council
The Undergraduate History Council (UHC) was founded in 2005 as a group of undergraduate representatives for history majors and concentrators. Since then, UHC’s primary two functions are to organize history-related events throughout the academic year to foster a greater sense of community amongst undergraduate history students, as well as serve as a liaison for students to the Undergraduate Education Committee (UNDED). UHC’s Board is comprised of a Chair, Vice Chair, and Treasurer, who oversee CHA programming and directly speak to UNDED, and the two Editors-in-Chief of the Columbia Journal of History (CJH).
UHC Board Members
Editor-in-Chief for CJH: Zoe Davidson, CC’24 (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Matthew Tai, CC’23 (email@example.com)
How to Join
Columbia History Association (CHA)
CHA is the large umbrella organization that all history majors and concentrators are automatically inducted into upon declaring their choice of study. All other students can fill out this form to join CHA, open to all Columbia and Barnard undergraduates (no interview needed — you are automatically admitted upon filling out the form!). Being part of CHA grants you a chance to:
- Participate in history-related events and opportunities at Columbia and in the New York City area by joining our newsletter;
- Join our newly-launched Mentorship Program, pairing new history students with upperclass history majors and concentrators in the Classes of 2023 and 2024
- Pitch and help implement new event ideas
- Apply to become a part of CHA’s Board
- Join the Columbia history community, meeting other undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, and alumni!
Interested in joining the CHA? Sign up here and learn more about us on cuhistory.com.
Columbia Journal of History (CJH)
The CJH publishes two formal journals featuring diverse articles during the course of the academic year. The group is composed of editors and 2 Editors-in-Chief. Among dozens of submissions from history students worldwide, the CJH selects several pieces to publish through a careful and stringent review process. Editors will gain experience in writing, editing, and formatting a proper Journal article, vital skills such as archival fact-checking and citation, and the chance to work closely with top student authors.
This sub-organization has a SEPARATE application and process to join.
The Journal is now accepting student applications for the Editorial Board; the deadline is Monday, September 26th at 11:59 pm. All information regarding editorial positions is present on the application form here. Please reach out to Zoe Davidson, CC’24 (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Matthew Tai, CC’23 (email@example.com) with any questions.
Read more about CJH on http://www.columbiahistoryjournal.com.
Undergraduate History Council (UHC)
UHC has leadership oversight over all members of CHA and CJH and acts as a liaison between the undergraduate student body and UNDED. As such, the UHC Board provides updates on the internal happenings of CHA and CJH and an overview of upcoming events, and has a role in long-term plans and the direction of the organization. UHC is comprised of:
- The Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, selected annually in March/April of the Spring Semester through an application and interview process;
- The two Editors-in-Chief of CJH, selected annually in Spring of 2022 through an application process, Managing editors will be selected annually in the Fall of each Year from members of the Journal;
Students interested in UHC Board positions should be actively involved within their respective sub-organization (CHA or CJH), showing dedication through regular attendance, participation, and contributions to the sub-organization’s work. Please reach out to the current UHC Board, whose contact information is provided above, with any questions.
News and Events
- Welcome to the incoming Class of 2026, and to new transfer and dual-degree students! We are excited to get to know you and create programming to enhance your time on-campus.
- CHA is launching a new mentorship program to better support new history students—and to offer upperclass history majors and concentrators a chance to share their advice! If you are interested, register here.
- The first CHA event—Campus Scavenger Hunt—is taking place on Friday, September 30th, 2022. Sign up here. To see a full list of upcoming events, visit our website at cuhistory.com.
- Applications for the Editorial Board of the CJH close Monday, September 26th, 2022 at 11:59PM. Apply here.
How to Contact
Follow our Facebook page, Instagram Page, and website and stay up to date!Join our newsletter!
Join our listserv!
Mrinalini Sisodia Wadhwa – firstname.lastname@example.org
Zirui (Jerry) Chen – email@example.com
Zoe Davidson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Matthew Tai – email@example.com
We welcome your suggestions, comments, questions, and feedback!