As announced by the President of Columbia University in April 2020, the 2020-2021 academic year will be comprised of three semesters: Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021. The History Department will therefore offer courses for undergraduate students (and, in some cases, for graduate students) in each of these terms.
This page provides an overview of our course offerings for all three terms, to help students as they make decisions and plans for the academic year ahead. Please note that this schedule may be subject to change, and students are encouraged not only to revisit this page but also to confirm the course listings in the online Directory of Courses and Vergil, where course descriptions and class meeting times are updated regularly.
In addition to semester-long (14-week) course offerings, the History Department will also offer 7-week “immersive courses.” These courses will cover a semester’s worth of material in a shorter period of time and will meet for twice as many hours per week, allowing more contact between faculty and students and more sustained focus on the class content. They will be offered in either the first half of a semester (e.g., Fall A, Spring A, Summer A) or in the second half of a semester (e.g., Fall B, Spring B, Summer B).
Please contact the following people with questions about the courses listed below or with questions about undergraduate or graduate programs of study:
- For undergraduate major[s] and concentration[s], Michael Adan, Undergraduate Administrator and
- For graduate programs, Angela To, PhD Program Administrator.
2020-2021 Year at a Glance
- “Fall” term courses will run the full 14-week term: Tues., Sept. 8, 2020 – Wed., Dec. 23, 2020.
- “Fall A” courses will run during the first half of the term: Tues., Sept. 8, 2020 – Fri., Oct. 23, 2020.
- “Fall B” courses will run during the second half of the term: Mon., Oct. 26, 2020 – Wed., Dec. 23, 2020.
- Course descriptions, as well as specific sections and meeting times, can be found in the online Directory of Courses.
- “Spring” term courses will run the full 14-week term: Mon., Jan. 11, 2021 – Mon., Apr. 26, 2021.
- “Spring A” courses will run during the first half of the term: Mon., Jan. 11, 2021 – Fri., Feb. 26, 2021.
- “Spring B” courses will run during the second half of the term: Mon., Mar. 8, 2021 – Mon., Apr. 26, 2021.
- Course descriptions, as well as specific sections and meeting times, will be available in advance of the early registration period in November 2020.
NOTE ON COURSE CLASSIFICATIONS: The course classifications (i.e. Modern European, U.S., Jewish, Medieval, etc.) are neither formal nor final. A course can count for more than one specialization. Please look at the description of the course, and if you think it might fit into your specialization requirements, but classified under another field, please consult with a member of UNDED.
NOTE ON SUBJECT CODES: Courses taught by History core faculty or affiliated faculty normally count for the major and concentration regardless of the subject code used in the Directory of Classes (i.e. AMST, CSER, HSEA, etc.). Please consult with a member of UNDED if you are uncertain about whether a given course counts.
NOTE ON REGULARLY CROSS-LISTED COURSES: Some sections of courses which are regularly cross-listed do not count for majors and concentrators if the instructor is not a member or affiliate of the History Department. These include but are not limited to: AFCV UN1020 – African Civilization, LACV UN1020 – Latin American Civilization, or ASCE UN13xx – Introduction to East Asian Civilization. Please inquire with the Curriculum Coordinator if you are unsure whether a particular section counts.
Please contact our Curriculum Coordinator if you have questions about any course offerings. See the below DoC links for course descriptions, call numbers and course updates in real time: