Fall 2023: ON LEAVE
Ph.D. — Columbia University 1985
M.A. — Columbia University 1981
B.A. — Yeshiva University 1979
Seth Schwartz is a social, cultural and political historian of the ancient Jews, with strong interests in their Hellenistic, Roman and early Christian environments.
Awards and Fellowships
- Junior Fellowship, Harvard Society of Fellows, 1987-1990
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 1999-2000
- Fellowship, Institute for Advanced Studies, Jerusalem, 2002-03
- Membership, School of Historical Studies, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, 2006-07
- NEH Fellowship, 2006-07
- Fellowship, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania, 2007-08
The Ancient Jews from Alexander to Muhammad, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
Were the Jews A Mediterranean Society? Reciprocity and Solidarity in Ancient Judaism, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2010.
Imperialism and Jewish Society, 200 BCE to 640 CE, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2001.
Josephus and Judaean Politics, Leiden: Brill, 1990.
With R. Bagnall, A. Cameron and K. Worp, Consuls of the Later Roman Empire, Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1987.