Ph.D. –“Bridging Colonial Gaps: Kazakh Intellectuals and the Imperial State”, East European Institute, Tübingen University, Germany, 2003
Ph.D. –“The Theoretical Problems of Folklorism with a Focus on Central European Countries and Kazakhstan”, Folklore Department, Eötvös-Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary, 1987
Department of Philosophy, Moscow State Lomonosov University, honors degree, 1979
Interests and Research
Russian Empire, former Soviet Union, Central Asia, Inner Asia, frontier studies, Kazakhstan; colonialism, nationalism, ethnicity, Islam, nomadism, cultural anthropology of pastoralism, social and intellectual history of Central Asia
- Asiatic Russia: Empire, State, Society
- Expressions of Identity and Change in Muslim Eurasia
- Central Asia: Imperial Legacies, New Images
- Between Europe and Asia: History and Cultures of Nomadic Civilizations
- Nomads of the Eurasian Steppes: From Genghis Khan to Stalin and Beyond
- Islam and Russia
- Islam Across Eurasia
- Faculty Development Award, Harriman Institute, Columbia University, 2016
- Publication Grant, Harriman Institute, Columbia University, 2016
- PEPSICO Research Travel Grant Columbia University Harriman Institute, 2007, 2009, 2013
- Fulbright Scholarship Grant, Harriman Institute, Columbia University
Russian Practices of Governance in Eurasia. Frontier Power dynamics, 16th to 19th Century
Land and People. The Russian Colonization of the Kazakh Steppe
Berlin: Das Arabische Buch, 2002 [ANOR, 12, eds. J. Paul/ I. Baldauf] (in English), 2002
The Inner Asian Politics of Frontier and the 1771 Exodus of the Kalmyks, Inner Asia 20, 4 (2018), pp. 261-289
Memorial’noe meropriiatie pamiati A. V. Remneva v Kolumbiiskom universitete, Suvorova, N. G./S. A. Mulina (eds.): Aziatskaia Rossiia: liudi i struktury imperii. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov, Omsk, 2016.
Challenging Colonial Power: Kazakh Cadres and Native Strategies, in: Inner Asia, 10 (1), 2008, pp. 65-85.
The Alash Movement in Kazakhstan, in: Hazan Celâl Güzel/ C. Cem Oğuz/Güzel/ C. Cem Oğuz/ Osman Karatay (eds.): The Turks, Encyclopedia, Ankara: Yeni Türkiye Publications, vol. 5 (2002).
Der Kampf um das Land in der kazachischen Steppe am Anfang des 20. Jahrhunderts, Jahrbücher für Geschichte Osteuropas 47 (1999).
The National Liberation Movement of the Kazakh Intelligentsia at the Beginning of the 20th Century, Central Asian Survey 16 (4) (1997).
Migrations in Kazakhstan. Past and Present, Nationalities Papers, vol. 25, 4: (1997).
’We are Children of Alash...’ The Kazakh Intelligentsia at the Beginning of the 20th Century in Search of National Identity and Prospects of the Cultural Survival of the Kazakh People, International Journal for Central Asian Studies (Seoul, South Korea), 1 (1997); reprinted: Central Asian Survey, 18 (1), 1999.