510 Fayerweather Hall
Phone: (212) 851-5910
Diploma in Medieval and Franciscan Studies — Pontifical University Antonianum, Rome, Italy, 2003
Licencein Mediaeval Studies — Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, Toronto, Canada, 2002
Ph.D. — Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey, 2002
M.A. — Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey, 1997
B.S. — Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1994
Interests and Research
Neslihan Şenocak, associate professor, specializes in medieval religious, intellectual andsocial history, in particular the Franciscan Order, popular religion, the rise of scholastic education, the history of criminal justice and the social andlegal history of the medieval Italian communes.
Once Upon a Time: Daily Life in Medieval Europe (lecture)
Medieval Religious Orders (graduate seminar)
Comparative Topics in Religious History: Medieval Europe and Colonial Latin America (graduate seminar)
Medieval Popular Religion (graduate seminar)
Crime and Punishment in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, 1000-1500
Medieval Italy, 1000-1400
Medieval Religious Life and Thought (lecture)
Contemporary Civilization I & II
- Fellows' Fellow, National Humanities Center, 2015-16
- I Tatti Fellowship, Villa I Tatti, Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies, 2013-14
- Columbia MacDonald Summer Fellow, 2012
- Dr. M. Aylwin Cotton Foundation Research Fellowship, 2005
- Research Grant - Pontifical University Antonianum, Rome and Società Internazionale di Studi Francescani, Assisi, 2005
- The Bibliographical Society (Edinburgh, UK) Research Grant, 2005
- Invited Visiting Research Fellow - Institute for the Religious Sciences, Trento, Italy, 2004
- Distinguished International Publication Award - Turkish Academy of the Sciences (TUBA), 2004
- Postdoctoral Fellow - Erasmus Institute, University of Notre Dame, 2003
- Joseph Wey Postdoctoral Fellow - Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, Toronto, Canada, 2001
- J.R.H. Moorman Residential Scholarship - St. Deiniol's Library, North Wales, United Kingdom, 2001
- Nostra Aetate Foundation Research Grant - Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, Rome, 1999
- Columbia MacDonald Summer Fellow, 2012
(forthcoming) Il Povero e Il Perfetto, Milan: Edizioni Biblioteca Francescana, 2016. (Italian Translation of The Poor and the Perfect).
(forthcoming) Care of Souls in Medieval Italy, 600-1300. Cornell University Press, 2018.
The Poor and the Perfect: the Rise of Learning in the Franciscan Order 1209-1310. Cornell University Press: Ithaca, 2012.
(forthcoming) "Twelfth-century Italian confraternities as Instititions of Pastoral Care," Journal of Medieval History, May 2016.
(work-in-progress) "Bishops and their Visitations in Medieval and Renaissance Italy."
(forthcoming) "English Franciscans and Their Influence on the Early History of Their Order," in Miscellenea in memoriam J.R.H.Moorman (Ashgate: Aldershot, 2016)
"The Making of Franciscan Poverty," Revue Mabillon, revue internationale d'histoire et de littérature religieuses, nouv. ser, 24 (t. 85), 5-26.
“Franciscan Studium Generale: A New Interpretation” in Philosophy and Theology in the Studia of the Religious Orders and at the Papal Court, ed. K. Emery, Jr., William Courtenay, and Stephen M. Metzger, Société Internationale pour l'Étude de la Philosophie Médiévale, 2012, 221-236.
“Voluntary Simplicity: the Attitude of Francis toward Learning in his Medieval Biographies” in Cambridge Companion to Saint Francis of Assisi, ed. Michael Robson. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011, 84-100.
"The Earliest Library Catalogue of the Franciscan Convent of St. Fortunato of Todi (c. 1300),"Archivum Franciscanum Historicum, 99 (2006) 467-505.
"EarlyFourteenth-Century Franciscan Library Catalogues: The Case of the Gubbio Catalogue (c. 1300)," Scriptorium, 59 (2005) 29-50.
"Circulation of Books in the Medieval Franciscan Order: Attitude, Methods and Critics," Journal of Religious History, 28 (2004) 146-161.
"Book Acquisition in the Medieval Franciscan Order," Journal of Religious History, 27 (2003) 14-28.
- American Historical Association
- Medieval Academy of America
- American Society of Church History
- Society for Italian Historical Studies