Associate Professor of Polish Studies
510 Fayerweather Hall
Phone: (212) 854-2514
Ph.D. - Warsaw University, 2008
M.A. - Warsaw University, 2004 (Sociology)
M.A. - Warsaw University, 2003 (History)
Interests and Research
Małgorzata Mazurek specializes in modern history of Poland and East Central Europe. Her interests include history of social sciences, international development, social history of labor and consumption in the twentieth-century Poland and Polish-Jewish studies. Her new book project deals with the intellectual history of East Central European involvement in the making of the non-Western world between the late 19th century and 1960s. It investigates the role of Warsaw-based social scientists in shaping Eastern European debates on population, migration and capitalism and further, in transforming this locally produced knowledge into development policies for the so-called "Third World." She is also a member of an international research project Socialism Goes Global: Cold War Connections between the ‘Second’ and ‘Third World’ 1945-1991 funded by the British Arts and Humanities Research Council.
- Contemporary Civilization I and II
- Society and Political Thought in Modern Eastern Europe
- Twentieth-Century Poland in Personal Accounts
- History of Modern Eastern and Central Europe
- Culture in Polish Lands
- Arts and Humanities Research Council Grant (2015-18) for the collaborative research project Socialism Goes Global: Cold War Connections Between the ‘Second’ and ‘Third Worlds’ 1945-1991
- Marie Curie Fellowship of the Gerda Henkel Foundation, Columbia University, 2012-2014
- Max Weber Foundation Travel and Research Scholarship, German Historical Institute Paris, London and Warsaw, 2012-2013
- Chercheur invité at l’École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS), Paris, 2010
- The Foundation for Polish Science Award for Young Scientists START, 2006--2008
- Centre Marc Bloch Fellowship, Humboldt University Berlin, 2006
- Witold Kula First Prize for the M.A. Dissertation in Social Sciences, 2005
- Józef Lipski Award of the "Open Republic. Association Against Anti-Semitism and Xenophobia" for the M.A. Dissertation in History, 2004
Waiting in Lines. On Experiences of Scarcity in Postwar Poland, 2010 (in Polish)
Socialist Factory. Workers in People’s Poland and in the GDR on the Eve of the Sixties, 2005 (in Polish)
"Rewizyta: jak wytwarza się wiedzę socjologiczną” [On Creation of Sociological Knowledge: Self-Reflexive Reassessment of an Ethnographic Revisit], Kultura i Społeczeństwo [Culture and Society] (to be published in issue no. 3/2015)
"Morales de la consommation en Pologne (1918-1989)/Moralities of Consumption across the Short Twentieth Century" Annales. Histoire, Science Sociales, No. 2, avril-juin 2013, p. 499-527
For English version, click here:
(with Paul Betts) "Preface. When Rights Were Social," special dossier on social rights, Humanity. An International Journal of Human Rights of Human Rights, Humanitarianism and Development, Vol. 3, Issue 3, Fall 2012
"Keeping it Close to Home: Resourcefulness and Scarcity in Late Socialist and Post-Socialist Poland," in: Communism Unwrapped. Consumption in Cold War Eastern Europe ed. Paulina Bren and Mary Neuburger, Oxford: Oxford University Press 2012, p. 404-435.
"Figures de la débrouillardise en temps de crise en Pologne, in Fragments du communisme en Europe Centrale ed. Rose-Marie Lagrave, Paris: Éditions EHESS, 2011, p. 113-138.
"From Welfare-State to Self-Welfare: Everyday Opposition among Textile Female Workers, Lodz 1971-1981," in Gender Politics and Mass Dictatorship. Global Perspectives ed. Jie-Hyun Lim and Karen Petrone Basingstoke: Palgrave/Macmillan, 2011, p. 278-300.
"Between Sociology and Ideology: Perception of Work and Sociologist Advisors in Communist Poland, 1956-1970" Revue d’histoire en sciences humaines, (Dossier: Quelle sociologie derrière le „rideau de fer”?), Vol. 16, No. 1, 2007, p. 11-32.
(with Matthew Hilton) "Consumerism, Solidarity and Communism: Consumer Protection and Consumer Movement in Poland," Journal of Contemporary History, Vol. 42, No. 2, 2007, p. 315-43.